LNER launches Customer and Community Improvement Fund
- Newcastle Central station users and community groups encouraged to submit bids
London North Eastern Railway (LNER) is inviting customers and community groups in Newcastle and along the East Coast Mainline to submit bids for funding following the launch of their ‘Customer and Community Improvement Fund’.
The fund has been established to help customers and communities along the LNER route to undertake projects and initiatives that will help address a local issue, bring to life unused or forgotten spaces and deliver educational or environmental benefits.
The scheme will see £500,000 up for grabs each year with the current round of funding available for projects starting in spring 2019. All of the proposals received will be presented to a panel of representatives from across LNER. Their final recommendations will then be put to the Department for Transport for approval.
As part of the fund, LNER will continue to support schemes previously started under Virgin Trains East Coast. These include working with the Bee Friendly Trust to enhance the station environment for bees, improving subways at Retford and Grantham, and helping to set up a Cycle Hub at Darlington Station.
Tim Hedley-Jones, Major Projects Director at LNER, said: “We’re really pleased to be able to support local initiatives across our route and are delighted that through this fund we can give customers and community groups an opportunity to direct which projects we support in the coming years.
“We want bids of all shapes and sizes which relate to our route, so I’d encourage customers and organisations to get in contact and share their ideas.”
The fund is in addition to significant investment already committed to improving services for customers which, among others, will see new Azuma trains be introduced to the network over the coming years.
Most Shared Posts
- Where Do We Belong? Northern Stage Where Do We Belong is a piece of theatre that is produced by the
- SCARIEST EVENT IN THE NORTH SET TO RETURN… SOCIALLY distanced scares are set to terrify the North
- First wave of acts to perform at This Summer’s Virgin Money Unity Arena Announced– Indie
- Due to on-going success of the annual “Christmas Tyne” seasonal dining experience on N