FAMILY EVENTS THIS HALF TERM ON THE METRO
5 family events you can get to using the Metro this February half term
Tyne and Wear Metro is encouraging families to get out and about this February half term and enjoy the region’s variety of events and attractions. By jumping on board a Metro families can easily visit a range of places across Tyne and Wear including the Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, The Word, National Centre for the Written Word, BALTIC, Seven Stories and Blue Reef Aquarium.
Families can use Metro’s free adventure book, ‘Metro’s little book of things to see’, which is available from Nexus TravelShops and online to download from www.nexus.org.uk/metro/offers, to keep the kids entertained on their journey by looking out for animals, artworks and places across the Metro network, ticking them off as they spot them.
School holidays can often be an expensive time for parents, so Metro is also encouraging families to take advantage of its Pop Pay As You Go cards to help cut down on the cost of days out.
Pop Pay As You Go is an easy way to pay for transport across Tyne and Wear and is an ideal way for adults to travel around the region. Using a Pop Pay As You Go card saves passengers money on every trip they make on Metro, and the card can also be used to buy tickets on all local buses in North East England. To find out more about the Pop Pay As You Go card visit www.nexus.org.uk/pop/payg
Metro Services Director, Chris Carson, said: “We are encouraging families to make the most of the school holidays and explore all the fantastic things the region has to offer. With 60 stations across Tyne and Wear you’re never far from a fun-filled day out.
“We also hope Metro customers will take advantage of our Pop Pay As You Go cards to help them save money so they can plan more days out during the February half term.”
By using Metro families can easily visit a range of places across the network, below are five highlights of the events taking place in Tyne and Wear this February half term:
1. Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens: Leonardo Da Vinci: A life in drawing Closest Metro Station: Sunderland Time & date: Friday 1st February – Monday 6th May 2019 Cost: Admission fee Families have the opportunity this February half term to see Leonardo Da Vinci’s world famous sketches. The exhibition, which is part of a national tour to mark the 500th anniversary of Leonardo Da Vinci’s death, features 12 sketches from the Italian Master which depicts his broad range of interests, from botany to cartography and science to the human form.
Inspired by the exhibition, there will also be a range of associated workshops, courses, guided tours and family activities taking place throughout the duration of the exhibition.
To find out more visit, www.seeitdoitsunderland.co.uk/leonardo-da-vinci-life-drawing
2. Seven Stories: ELMER and Friends: The Colourful World of David McKee Closest Metro Station: Manors Time & date: Friday 8th February 2019 – February 2020 Cost: Admission fee Seven Stories, The National Centre for Children’s Books, is celebrating 30 years of Elmer the Patchwork Elephant with their exhibition of David McKee’s iconic artwork. Alongside artwork families can also see manuscripts from the world famous Elmer series, some of which will be on display for the first time, the exhibition will also showcase artwork from David McKee’s other popular stories, including Not Now, Bernard. This February half term, Seven Stories, have teamed up with Metro to offer free child entry
with the purchase of an adult ticket. To claim this offer simply show a valid Metro ticket or Pop card for that day of travel at reception.
To find out more visit, www.sevenstories.org.uk
3. BALTIC: February Family Day Closest Metro Station: Gateshead Time & date: Wednesday 20th February Cost: Free The Baltic is a great place for children to discover their artistic flair this school holiday at the art gallery’s February Family Day jammed packed full of fun activities for children aged four-13 years-old. Families can fully immerse themselves in Heather Phillipson’s playful exhibition, The Age of Love, which will be transformed for them to enjoy a UV dancer and a DJ.
Free tea, coffee and squash will be available plus a picnic area for those families that want to bring their own packed lunch. BALTIC Kitchen will also have a special Family Day offer. To find out more visit, www.baltic.art/whats-on/family-day
4. The Word, National Centre for the Written Word: February Half Term programme of events Closest Metro Station: South Shields Time & date: Friday 18th – 23rd February 2019 Cost: Various The Word in South Shields is the perfect place to visit if you love reading and being creative.
Home to 70,000 books visitors can enjoy a range of experiences, activities and facilities such as a digital media wall and FabLab to an immersive storytelling experience and interactive touch-tables.
This half term families can get involved in a variety of events including arts and crafts, a LEGO® drop-in, chess and recycle-art. Children with a passion for science are invited to attend The Word’s popular Big Bang science party. While young spy and mystery enthusiasts can enjoy Spies, Secrets and Stories in The Word’s immersive Story World as well as delve into the world of covert communications in the free Cracked! Secret Codes and communication exhibition.
To find out more visit, www.theworduk.org/february-half-term/
5. Blue Reef Aquarium: Sense-ational Tours Closest Metro Station: Cullercoats Time & date: Saturday 16th – 24th February 2019 Cost: Admission fee Blue Reef Aquarium in Tynemouth is a great family day out and ideal for rainy days. Throughout February half term the Blue Reef is hosting tours to guide families around the aquarium, with their senses. Discover what starfish feel like, if animals can hear underwater, how they can see in dark waters and if sixth senses are real. As well as Sense-ational Tours children can see the resident seals being trained and visit the animal hospital, where injured wild seals are rehabilitated and nursed back to health. Blue Reef Aquarium have teamed up with Metro this February half term to offer families £2 off the full admission price per person. To claim this offer simply show a valid Metro ticket or Pop card for that day of travel at reception. To find out more visit, www.bluereefaquarium.co.uk/tynemouth/
A host of North East attractions have teamed up with Metro to offer customers exclusive deals throughout February half term. To make the most of these fantastic savings and offers, all Metro customers have to do is mention the Tyne and Wear Metro discount when booking and show a valid Metro ticket or Pop card, valid for travel on the same day, on arrival at each of the locations. For full
Metro offer details and terms and conditions visit, www.nexus.org.uk/metro/offers
1. Tyneside Cinema: Free popcorn for children attending the Children’s Film Club or Access Cinema Closest Metro Station: Monument Offer valid for those attending the Children’s Film Club screenings of Kubo and the Two Strings on Saturday 16th February and Mulan on Saturday 23rd February, and for the Access Cinema screening of Mulan on Sunday 24th February 2019.
2. Seven Stories: Free child entry with an adult ticket Closest Metro station: Manors Offer valid from Monday 18th until Sunday 24th February 2019.
3. Blue Reef Aquarium: £2 off admission Closest Metro Station: Cullercoats and Tynemouth Offer valid from Monday 18th until Sunday 24th February 2019.
4. Sunderland MFA Bowl: Two games for £15 for up to four people Closest Metro Station: Sunderland Offer valid from Monday 18th February until Friday 29th March 2019.
Food and Drink
1. The Pie Shop: 10% off any pie dinner or bottle of beer Closest Metro station: North Shields Offer is valid from Monday 18th until Sunday 24th February 2019.
For regular travel updates regarding Tyne and Wear Metro follow the above social media channels or visit Nexus.org.uk/metro or call Nexus on 0191 20 20 747