AWARDS SHOW TO TAKE PLACE AT NEWCASTLE’S UTILITA ARENA ON THURSDAY 22ND OCTOBER
Following its biggest year yet in 2025, The Mercury Prize has announced its return to Newcastle as the host city for 2026, in partnership with Newcastle City Council. The 2026 Awards Show will be held on Thursday 22nd October at the Utilita Arena, Newcastle.
The Awards Show will feature live performances from many of the twelve shortlisted artists and the evening will culminate in the announcement of the overall winner of the 2026 Mercury Prize in Newcastle. The Prize’s broadcast partner BBC Music will provide coverage of the event.
The Mercury Prize ‘12 Albums of the Year’ shortlist is curated by an independent judging panel of music industry professionals who are eternally passionate about spotlighting artistic achievement across a range of genres. Each year, the shortlist recognises the best new British & Irish music, celebrating artistic achievement across an eclectic range of contemporary music genres. As an independent arts prize, it champions the album format, acts a snapshot of the year in music and often provides a major platform for up and coming artists and their musical work. The Prize has been an important milestone in past winners’ journeys, acting as a stepping stone to wider success in the UK and Ireland as well as internationally.
Last year saw local hero Sam Fender claim the Prize in front of a sold out crowd, and other recent past winners include English Teacher, Ezra Collective, Little Simz, Dave, Wolf Alice, Young Fathers, and more.

2025 was the Prize’s biggest year to date, as it marked the first time the prestigious awards show was held outside of London. Alongside the main show at the Utilita Arena, Newcastle and the North East hosted a week-long fringe programme of events and talks, bringing an extra 8,000 visitors to the region.
Newcastle is one of the enduring cultural cornerstones of the UK and the North of England and the return of the Mercury Prize to the city marks a landmark moment for the North East’s music sector. With the dynamic collaboration of the BPI, Newcastle City Council and music powerhouse Generator, the city is gearing up to host the prestigious Mercury Prize once again – adding another jewel to Newcastle’s crown of high-profile events.
Dr Jo Twist OBE, BPI CEO, and YolanDa Brown OBE DL, artist and BPI Chair, jointly said: “Last year’s Mercury Prize and its brilliant performances and Fringe gave the region a £1.4m economic and cultural boost and the whole of Newcastle came together to give the event a warm, big Geordie hug. We are delighted to see the Prize return to the Toon and to the North-East for what we know will be another memorable occasion for artists and fans. We thank Newcastle City Council and all our valued partners for their continued collaboration and commitment, and we can’t wait for what is already shaping up to be another fantastic year of British and Irish music.”
Cllr Karen Kilgour, Leader of Newcastle City Council, said: “The return of the Mercury Prize to Newcastle for a second consecutive year is a tremendous vote of confidence in our city and our thriving music scene.
“Newcastle is at the heart of a bold cultural resurgence, and hosting this prestigious national event once again underlines both the strength of our music industry and the growing national recognition of our cultural ambitions. It’s a powerful endorsement of the talent, creativity and momentum that define our city.
“Last year, we showcased exactly what Newcastle can deliver on a major stage, and we’ve continued to build on that momentum. This follows Warner Music’s recent announcement of a three-year partnership with Generator, which will create even more long-term opportunities. It also supports our plans to establish Newcastle and Gateshead as a recognised Music City.
“And with more significant events in the pipeline including a firm commitment to build our own programme, Newcastle will soon be seen as one of the UK’s key cultural hubs.
“While many cities are celebrated for their musical past, Newcastle is shaping its musical future. The return of the Mercury Prize reinforces our reputation as a driving force for emerging talent, industry investment and world-class events — and we are incredibly proud to welcome it back.”
Mick Ross, CEO at Generator, said: “The return of the Mercury Prize to Newcastle confirms that last year wasn’t a one-off – it was a shift in the centre of gravity of British music.
“When Mercury left London, it proved the North has the talent, infrastructure and ambition to lead at the highest level. The BRITs in Manchester followed. The momentum is real. For more than 35 years, Generator has championed Northern talent, lobbied for investment and built the partnerships that moments like this depend on. Through Generator’s Mercury Fringe programme, we turned a global awards show into a region-wide platform – creating real opportunities and lasting impact.
This year, we’re going further – expanding access, opening more pathways and ensuring Northern artists don’t just take part, but set the agenda.”
Almost 8,000 visitors travelled to Mercury Prize events across the region, generating a combined spend of £874,724 and adding an estimated £552,868 GVA to the regional economy – supporting the equivalent of 13 jobs. As part of the activity around the Awards Show, 35 local people also gained valuable work experience while 68 children took part in the Mini Mercurys activity. The 2025 Prize also reached a global audience figure of 1.6 billion which includes local, national and global media coverage, extensive social media engagement, and broadcast audiences.

